For developers of automotive systems, the move towards more rigorous process standards raises concerns around increased development time and cost. In addition, with the dramatic increase in the amount of code in today’s automobiles, the risk of injury or death caused by software errors has raised the stakes for developers. Even without a catastrophic event, no developer wants to be identified as the cause of an expensive vehicle recall due to a software error.
The LDRA tool suite supports the entire IEC 61508 and ISO 26262 process from requirements through deployment to help eliminate or reduce labour-intensive and error-prone elements of the development process.
LDRA helps developers of security- and safety-critical automotive systems meet these software quality and test requirements:
- Requirements Traceability. TBmanager is the only requirements traceability solution that supports the tracing of requirements, development, and verification artifacts and activities throughout the entire software development life cycle. This bidirectional traceability ensures complete coverage and impact analysis through all phases of development, from a requirement through development to verification, and the production of evidence and documentation in a comprehensive requirements traceability matrix.
- ISO 26262 Objectives. TBmanager lets you link ISO 26262 objectives to requirements, so they’re traceable through design and implementation in order to satisfy the full range of ISO 26262 Automotive Safety Integrity Level (ASIL) requirements.
- Coding Standards Compliance. TBvision’s static analysis capabilities simplify the enforcement of coding standards across your organisation, improving the overall consistency and quality of the code. TBvision helps your team develop and enforce the coding standard that is right for you from in-house best practices and guidelines to industry coding standards or a combination of in-house and industry standards. Examples of supported standards include MISRA C, MISRA C++, CERT C, CERT C++, CERT Java, Netrino C, and JSF++ AV.
- Structural Coverage Analysis. The LDRA tool suite lets your team meet the most rigorous coverage analysis requirements, including statement, branch/decision, procedure/function call, Modified Condition/Decision Coverage (MC/DC) (as required for ASIL Level D specifically), and dynamic data flow.
- Object Code Verification. The TBobjectBox module is the only direct way to relate code coverage at the source code level with that achieved at the object code level to realize complete object code verification (OCV).
- Tool Qualification. LDRA provides support for the qualification of its tool suite for both structural coverage analysis (SCA) as well as for programming rules checking (PRC). The LDRA Tool Qualification Support Packs (TQSPs) contain the test cases to demonstrate both the SCA and PRC capabilities of the tool suite itself. In addition, associated documentation for the development and verification of the product is provided, including plans, procedures, and expected results.
- Integration with Model-based Design. LDRA provides unique integrations with some of the market-leading model-based development environments, including MATLAB/Simulink from the MathWorks, Rhapsody from IBM Rational, and Esterel’s SCADE product line. The LDRA tool suite augments model-driven development environments through automated standards compliance checking and automated verification and coverage analysis at the model, source, and object code levels.
LDRA provides the most complete software verification and validation solution for the development of safety and security-related automotive software
Today, the automotive industry relies on coding standards such as the MISRA guidelines for C and C++ to help ensure high-quality code for security- and safety-critical systems. In addition, the IEC 61508 Standard for Functional Safety of Electrical / Electronic / Programmable Electronic Safety-Related Systems, and increasingly the emerging ISO 26262 Functional Safety standard for road vehicles are emerging as guidelines for building security- and safety-critical automotive systems. The flexibility of the LDRA tool suite helps you effectively manage verification of complex systems that combine components which are “proven in use” with those that require formal testing.
TÜV SÜD has certified the use of the LDRA tool suite for security- and safety-critical development in the automotive industry under ISO 26262-8:2011, in recognition of LDRA’s own formal development and verification process and the capabilities of the LDRA tool suite.